The official monthly Electronic Newsletter of the
Southern Nevada EAA Chapter 1300
P.O. Box 570561, Topaz Station
Las Vegas, Nevada, 89157-0561
Volume 9, Issue 4
April 9th Meeting Location:
Our next meeting will be held in the Grand Canyon Room located in the main terminal at North Las Vegas Airport at 7:30 pm.
2008 Officers and Directors:
EAA Chapter 1300
|Vice President:||Mike Perger|
|Director VGT:||Armin Tuma|
|Director BLD:||Glenn Smith|
|Director HND:||Glenn Carlson|
Presidents Corner April 2008
Young Eagles and Air Academy were the main topics discussed at our March meeting at Henderson. The May 24th Tonopah Young Eagles event is firm and will coincide with their Jim Butler Days (miner and town founder) celebration. Should be a good time, so mark your calendars. The membership approved our EAA Air Academy scholarship candidate for this summer’s session, Bradley Kasperek. The Jean Discover Aviation group has graciously offered to provide the funds for his tuition and transportation.
Airport fire and rescue services at Henderson were also discussed. Mike Perger will be working on a presentation from the local fire department for a future meeting. Jim Bonelli will also take the issue up with Clark County Aviation Association to see what might be possible through Clark County to improve emergency services at HND.
Our March presentation was canceled due to a family emergency, so we visited Roger Hansen’s and my hangar after the meeting was adjourned.
Thanks to Dean and Selina Herrington for the cookies. Any volunteers for our North Las Vegas meeting? Give me a call 278-0273.
Our April 9th meeting will be at the North Las Vegas Terminal 7:30. I have scheduled a visit by Bruce and Brian Banks to show us some of their LED experimental aircraft lighting products. Dinner as usual at ~6:00pm at the Town Center Lounge II (near Cheyenne and Simmons).
See you there!
p.s. Mark your calendars for a very special presentation at our June 11th meeting. You won’t want to miss this one!
SOUTHERN NEVADA EAA CHAPTER 1300
Minutes of Meeting
March 12, 2008
Henderson Airport Terminal
Meeting called to order by Chapter President, Terry Frazier at 19:40 hours.
- Kathleen and Peter Tremblary, have an RV-7, relocated here from South Carolina.
- Don Ames is out of the hospital and doing well!
- April meeting at North Las Vegas Airport Terminal, April 9, 2008, 7:30 PM
- FAA Safety Seminars on VFR charts @ KVGT 3/18 and HND 3/19
- Chapter 163 sponsored EAA B-17 tour stop at KVGT March 28-30. Volunteers welcomed.
- Riverside Airshow March 29.2008
- EAA call for letters to FAA on 51% rule. Look at their web site for more info.
- Mike Perger recommendations: If you haven’t toured the B-17 take time to do it. Red Bull Air racing in San Diego May 3 and 4, highly recommended. He and Jim Bonelli will be there.
- Our program that was cancelled was to have been by Larry O’Hearn showing his Sportcruiser. Program cancelled as Larry had to “put down” his ill dog. This program will be rescheduled. All animal lovers empathize with Larry.
- February 2008 minutes as posted on the web site were approved.
- Balance as of March 12, 2008, $1,930.57. Report approved as presented.
- EAA 2008 calendars for sale at $10.00 each. See Brian or Terry.
- M/S/P to send Brad Kasperek to the 2008 EAA Air Academy. Discover Aviation will be donating money for tuition and airfare. Brad will attend our April 2008 meeting to tell us about his involvement with and plans in aviation.
No other new business discussions from the floor.
- No quorum at the Director’s meeting held on February 28 so there weren’t any official actions. Discussion on the Young Eagles schedule.
- Young Eagles tentative schedule. While not cast in stone, it now looks like this:
- May 24, 2008 @ Tonopah. They have hotels and are working on fuel. Tonopah is planning a big parade for that weekend and would like our participation in the parade and a 10AM flyby down main street during the parade.
- September “date” TBD (possibly 9/20) @ HND. Tom Donaldson working on this. Will be tied in with the 60th anniversary of aviation at McCarran/HND.
- October 4 @ Overton
- November 1 @ Pahrump
- February 7 or 14, 2009, Courtney Childrens @ HND, depending on Super Bowl Sunday timing.
- M/S/P to cancel the July and August 2008 chapter meetings. Many members are out of town during that time and attendance drops dramatically.
- Terry and Keith will work to clean up our Yahoo member names. Many names of non members remain on the member list.
- Discussion from the floor regarding lack of fire support at HND. Passed on to Jim Bonelli for CCAA information and assistance. Terry will try to get a presentation/discussion on the program for our next HND meeting.
- Floor discussion on possibly switching some meetings between North Las Vegas/Henderson/Boulder City. More discussion to take place.
Chapter Committee Reports:
- Air Academy: Brad Kasperek will be attending 2008. See motion under old business.
- Safety/accidents: Jim Bonelli spoke about the accident in Florida involving an RV8 and Velocity at Dunn Airpark, Titusville, FL. A “go-around” was involved; Fred Wilson pointed out there are RC model aircraft at Jean being reported from 3,500 msl to 11,000msl.
- Builders Support: Mike Perger gave a good update on the “Staggerwing” project; Randy Holland gave an update on his “wooden” project which is being built from a combination of plans.
- Flying activities: March 16 to Furnace Creek with Roger Hansen’s former Livermore EAA Chapter; Roger Hansen talked about flying to Mexico. He is going again April 24. If you have an interest in going, please see Roger. He says flying to Mexico is not at mystical as many would have you think. There are just certain items you have to do in your planning and execution.
- Social: Roger Hansen talked about his planned hangar party for the evening of October 18, 2008. All are invited and it was generally agreed this would replace our fall Chapter picnic. Hangar visits take place at HND Saturday mornings. There is a Henderson Hangar Group breakfast on Saturdays at 8:00 AM at the Kopper Keg.
50/50 drawing won Glenn Carlson, calendars won by Dean and Selena Herrington and Linda Frazier.
- Terry will work on the Fire Support discussion. Also need all members to be on the lookout for topics.
Meeting adjourned at 21:05 hours with a reminder of our next meeting at No. Las Vegas Airport, Terminal Building, April 9, 2008, 1930 hours.
Submitted by Keith Hopkey, Secretary
Everyone is encouraged to submit material, information, or pictures of interest for publication on the Chapter’s Webpage.
Send whatever you have to Randy Holland, webmaster (firstname.lastname@example.org
The NEW chapter webpage URL is http://www.eaa1300.org
. Be sure to update any bookmarks.
Refreshments are provided each month by volunteers. We very much appreciate the generosity of those who participate.
Remember to wear your name badge to the April meeting.
Thanks for reading this newsletter and we will see you on the 9th.
Be sure to bring a friend.