The official monthly Electronic Newsletter of the
Southern Nevada EAA Chapter 1300
P.O. Box 570561, Topaz Station
Las Vegas, Nevada, 89157-0561
Volume 10, Issue 3
Next Meeting Location:
The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, March 11th, in the Grand Canyon Room at North Las Vegas Airport at 7:30pm.
2009 Officers and Directors:
|Vice President:||Terry Frazier|
|Director VGT:||Armin Tuma|
|Director HND:||Glenn Carlson|
|Director BVU:||Glenn Smith|
SOUTHERN NEVADA EAA CHAPTER 1300
Minutes of Meeting
February 11, 2009
Meeting was called to order by Chapter Vice-President, Terry Frazier. Chapter President Roger Hansen was traveling and not able to attend the meeting.
- Ralph Millard
- John Murphy
- Byon Garrabrant (speaker) and wife Lara
- Richard Drose
- Norm Robinson
- Cindy Rice
- Henderson Young Eagles set for Saturday, February 21, 2009 with Monarch Sky Open House.
- March Chapter meeting scheduled for March 11, 2009 at North Las Vegas (VGT).
- LASP (Large Aircraft Security Program) comments are due by February 27, 2009.
- Randy Holland introduced guest speaker Byon Garrabrant (www.Byonics.com) to discuss APRS (Amateur radio tracking system). These systems are similar to SPOT, a satellite-based tracking system, except there are no subscription fees. Although you need an amateur radio license to operate one of these devices, it is now easier than ever to get one. (No Morse code requirement!)
- M/S/P to accept December 10, 2008 minutes as posted on the web site. (No meeting in January, so no minutes.)
- Presented by Brian Prinzavalli. Balance as of January 30, 2009 was $1,946.10. M/S/P to accept report as presented.
- 2008 Officer/Director Recognition: Terry presented certificates of recognition from the EAA to the 2008 Officers. Thank you for a job well done!
- The Chapter web site has been updated to allow payment of dues online via PayPal.
- Terry reported that the B-17 will not be visiting the Las Vegas area in 2009, but will perhaps return in 2010.
- The Henderson Young Eagles event is scheduled for Saturday, February 21, 2009 in conjunction with Monarch Sky-Mohave Aviation. Pre-registration indicates that 50 kids have already expressed an interest in participating.
- Discussion of Senate Joint Resolution 3 sponsored by Horsford and Kirkpatrick. Resolution was sent to committee. AOPA has responded and EAA is involved. CCAA is encouraging members to write letters to the committee. Committee meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, February 17, 2009.
- Micah Braun reported that his dad Charlie passed away on November 13, 2008. A memorial is planned for sometime in April. More information will be available once plans are finalized.
Chapter Committee Reports:
- CCAA is still discussing the possibility of an Open House at HND, but no date has been set.
- A student at Wathen Aviation High School in California has requested donations to the school to ensure that the program can remain open in light of budget shortfalls in that state. They have a commitment for matching funds for all donations received. M/S/P that the Chapter would donate $100, as well as accept individual donations from members. In addition, the Chapter will consider students of Wathen High School for spots in the Oshkosh program if candidates from Las Vegas cannot be found.
- Notice that the identifier for Boulder City Airport is changing on March 15, 2009 to BVU.
- Safety/accidents: No discussion
- Builders Support: No discussion
- Help Requests: No discussion
- Young Eagles: An interest was expressed in our participation in Tonopah on May 25, 2009.
- Air Academy: Consider offering slot to Wathen High School students. Rancho High School not supportive. Guest Cindy Rice offered to list our program as a scholarship on the Clark County School District web site.
- Flying Activities: No discussion
- Social: Hangar visits continue to take place at HND Saturday mornings. There is a Henderson Hangar Group breakfast on Saturdays at 8:00 AM at the HND terminal restaurant.
M/S/P to adjourn the meeting.
- Fred Wilson won the 50/50 drawing and generously donated the winnings to the Wathen High School fundraiser.
Submitted by Rachael Holland, Secretary
There is now a Pay Now
button on the Membership Application
This will allow new members to sign up via PayPal. It will also allow existing members to renew their membership, order replacement name badges, etc. Payments can be made via the user's own PayPal account, or via any standard credit card. Payments will be processed securely by PayPal's own secure servers, and the funds will be automatically deposited into the Chapter's bank account.
Be sure to give it a try when renewing your Membership for the upcoming year!
Refreshments are provided each month by volunteers. We very much appreciate the generosity of those who participate.
We will see you at the next meeting on March 11th.
Remember to wear your name badge, and be sure to bring a friend!